185th News and Events - PUBLIC
 Bob 'Tomb' Jones
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Griffin

UNITED KINGDOM
4864 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  20:25:21  Show Profile Send Griffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen,

Today I received the very sad news that Bob 'Tomb' Jones had succumbed last Thursday, 28th April, to the cancer that we knew he had been fighting for a very long time.

Tomb had been a member of the 185th from late 2005 and gave us his vast knowledge of military aircraft systems and flying skills as well as his dry sense of humour and wit. He fought the cancer all the time, even turning up on flight nights while feeling unwell and making an appearance at the last 185th meet at the Fairford airshow, despite just coming from treatment.

He will be greatly missed.

I have passed our condolences to his wife and family behalf of the 185th.

Details of the funeral arrangements will be made available for those of you who wish to attend.

SnakeBite

USA
1732 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  21:35:29  Show Profile  Visit SnakeBite's Homepage  Send SnakeBite an ICQ Message Send SnakeBite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are very sad news indeed.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

I've known Tomb since 2006, we had very good times together, and I always enjoyed flying with this gentleman. Bob has always been asset to the squadron, he always provided us with his knowledgeable input on the table and we always listened to his thoughts and views. His expertise and passion in aviation taught me a lot. He was always adventurous and determined, and always had the courage to accomplish our mission objectives.

I've never met Bob personally, and I wish I would, but I know that he has been fighting his cancer for a long time, he always had high morale, never sounded like he is ill, when he was on Teamspeak, he was there to fly and to do what he is passionate about.

I have spent endless hours with Tomb flying, Falcon, FSX and some other Flight Simulators, and he always knew what he was doing. Tomb taught me a lot about aviation. He started "Busy Jet" on FSAirlines, and I joined him shortly after he started his airline, at one point, his airlines was ranked number two in the list, and we only had few pilots flying.

We will miss you Tomb, you are a true hero. your courage and determination should be an example for others.

May god rest your soul in peace.

SnakeBite

Go to Top of Page

Vosene

United Kingdom
4581 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  23:45:30  Show Profile Send Vosene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very sad news indeed.

I first met Tomb at the Bristol Airshow back in 2005 and he joined the Sqn shortly afterwards. I had the pleasure of flying with him many times and meeting him on several occasions.

Very knowledgeable about aviation, fiercely independent and one of the stubbornest man I have ever met, Tomb was a true fighter and proved this in his battle against cancer, surviving longer than all of the doctors predictions and living his life to the full even when times were difficult, as he proved by going to our last Squadron meet despite having just been on a course of intensive treatment.

My thoughts are with his wife Suzy and his family and friends at this time.

RIP Bob.

Go to Top of Page

Dmans1

Greece
260 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  06:34:07  Show Profile Send Dmans1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only had the honor of flying with him for a few months when i joined the squadron. He belonged to that special kind of men that when you fly with them you instantly know they have that special aviation touch.

May he rest in peace.

Go to Top of Page

Griffin

UNITED KINGDOM
4864 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2011 :  20:29:52  Show Profile Send Griffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For funeral arrangements visit the following link;

http://www.185th.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5181

Go to Top of Page

Sabre

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  17:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Sabre's Homepage  Send Sabre an ICQ Message Send Sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Dear,
The inevitable has happened, but as has already been mentioned Bob was a fighter and lived longer than others. Sometimes he could come across as being short tempered and aggressive, but he told me once, I need to be aggressive to fight this thing.

RIP Tomb,
My thoughts are with his wife Suzy and his family and friends at this time.

Sabre

Sabre was here
Go to Top of Page

Sabre

United Kingdom
2106 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2011 :  17:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Sabre's Homepage  Send Sabre an ICQ Message Send Sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be going to the funeral, anyone else going or want a lift from Darlington to Norwich please respond here or by email.

Sabre was here
Go to Top of Page

Ballistic

United Kingdom
767 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  18:07:41  Show Profile  Send Ballistic an ICQ Message Send Ballistic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not know Bob that well but I do recall the excellent large scale TE campaigns he was heavily involved in and we all enjoyed that tested all of our skills particularly in close range air to air combat and tactics. His knowledge in ths area was vast and he will be a great loss.

My thoughts go out to his family.
Go to Top of Page

Novac

UNITED KINGDOM
1409 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2011 :  19:27:01  Show Profile Send Novac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Despite being in the same room at the Bristol flight sim show I didn't get to meet/speak to Tomb. Bob at that time, before he signed the 185th dotted line.

My memories are from the Fairford meets. As Sabre said, on teamspeak sometimes he did come across a little aggressive. But when I got to meet him in person he was a totally different guy. With a great dry sense of humor. We were in tears reminiscing over old Monty-python sketches.

His knowledge of flight sims and aviation has already been covered. With total agreement from me.

And the way he fought that horrible disease, I bow my head.

Tomb, if there is a God up there I'm sure you'll be giving him a hard time!

Rest in peace mate.

Go to Top of Page

Griffin

UNITED KINGDOM
4864 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2011 :  10:19:18  Show Profile Send Griffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ballistic

I did not know Bob that well...

Well, I was looking through the photo albums on the News page and there is one in Vosene's album called "This is how it's done" (or something like that) with the description that goes along the lines, "Ballistic shows a member of the public how it's done." That member of the public was of course Tomb. It must have been his first experience of the 185th.

So you, Ballistic, where instrumental in Bob joining us. Nice job sir.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
185th VFS © 2000-2018 185th VFS Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000